Conflicts can do severe damage to organizations, even when no formal grievance or lawsuit is involved. I mediate disputes involving co-workers, unions and management, boards, clients and more to stabilize and strengthen organizations.
How I’ve helped past clients
- Analyzed and diagnosed conflicts
- Designed an appropriate mediation process responsive to the organization’s needs
- Provided a forum for parties to be heard
- Facilitated constructive discussions between parties in dispute
- Crafted appropriate language to reflect agreement, including communication protocols, ground rules for future behaviour and workplace accommodation plans
- Helped stakeholders receive closure and prevent future conflicts
- Guided parties toward rebuilding relations or learning from a conflict
How it works
Conflict within organizations can be extraordinarily costly: low morale, unhappy stakeholders, wasted resources and projects falling apart. Left unchecked, conflicts can fester, cause serious dysfunction and prevent an organization from achieving its potential. There’s huge value in taking a proactive approach to conflicts and disputes — before they lead to grievances and lawsuits.
I enter these cases as an impartial third party with conflict resolution expertise — and without the baggage of an internal mediator connected to your organization. In my experience, organizational disputes are often complex, layered and rarely cut-and-dried. Politically and culturally sensitive issues may be at play. I don’t believe in bulldozing through: my approach is facilitative, respectful and calm. I allow parties to be heard, understand the causes of conflict and create durable solutions. I’m also time-and cost-conscious. Most conflicts have already dragged on for too long, and everyone’s sick of it. Working quickly and effectively to make things better is key.
When I’m brought onto a case, we’ll first work together to determine your goals and needs, what my role and mandate should be, and what kind of mediation process is most suitable. To support a mediation process, I can also engage in group facilitation, fact-finding and evaluation of the legal dimensions of a case. Finally, I help guide parties toward sustainable solutions, and provide ongoing support if needed.